Monday, November 13, 2006

I hear ya, Robbie.


I'm grateful that I was on vacation this weekend in Colorado. After a very chilly afternoon spent at Falcon Stadium watching Notre Dame dismantle Air Force's defense, we opted to go out to dinner in Manitou Springs on Saturday night, thereby ensuring that I would miss both the Wake-FSU game and the K-State-Texas game.

When we returned to Colorado Springs, I immediately fired up my laptop to check the night's scores...I blanched and visibly paled (so says my dad) when I saw that Wake shut us out. I was elated that K-State upset the Longhorns in Manhattan, and immediately called my boyfriend to share in the celebration (he's a proud Kansas State alum). Honestly, had I not been in such a good mood from being back in my native state, I would have been cursing and throwing things, too.

Has Bobby Bowden done wondrous things for the Florida State football program? Absolutely. I mean, really. That's just obvious.

Has he earned the right to end his career as he chooses? Probably. That said, there should be stipulations, and nepotism should not be included. Nor should extortion.

For a man who has demonstrated such class throughout his life, I'm pretty saddened that he confuses protecting his family with his professional and contractual obligations to his employer. For the first time since I was a very little girl, FSU is not bowl eligible - and that's hard to swallow after watching my alma mater play in three MNC games while I was an undergrad.

Damn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google